10/26/2008

Miriam's Leprosy

Numbers 12:9-15 - The anger of the LORD burned against them, and he left them.

When the cloud lifted from above the Tent, there stood Miriam—leprous, like snow. Aaron turned toward her and saw that she had leprosy; and he said to Moses, "Please, my lord, do not hold against us the sin we have so foolishly committed. Do not let her be like a stillborn infant coming from its mother's womb with its flesh half eaten away."

So Moses cried out to the LORD, "O God, please heal her!"

The LORD replied to Moses, "If her father had spit in her face, would she not have been in disgrace for seven days? Confine her outside the camp for seven days; after that she can be brought back." So Miriam was confined outside the camp for seven days, and the people did not move on till she was brought back.

I wonder why only Miriam was physically punished for their murmuring against Moses. Of course it's God's choice, but I think it might have been because Aaron was high priest, and it wouldn't do to have the first high priest found to be a leper.

That's just my best guess for now though. God may have had a totally different reason. His thoughts are not my thoughts, nor are his ways my ways in matters like this.

Another idea...maybe God used Miriam as a warning to Aaron and an opportunity for him to plead for his sister (to Moses) thus forcing him to recognize Moses' God-given authority.

I'm curious. Could you please tell me what brought you to this page by mentioning it in a comment? I won't publish the comment, if you ask me not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment