10/21/2008

Eldad and Medad

Numbers 11:26-30 - However, two men, whose names were Eldad and Medad, had remained in the camp. They were listed among the elders, but did not go out to the Tent. Yet the Spirit also rested on them, and they prophesied in the camp. A young man ran and told Moses, "Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp."

Joshua son of Nun, who had been Moses' aide since youth, spoke up and said, "Moses, my lord, stop them!"

But Moses replied, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the LORD's people were prophets and that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!" Then Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp.

I wonder why Eldad and Medad hadn't gone out to the Tent of Meeting with the rest of the elders. What was it that kept them from going? I can't imagine that, being elders, they didn't want to go.

I wonder why no one noticed they weren't in the group that did go to the Tent.

I wonder if they were surprised that they started prophesying. I wonder if they were near each other at the time. It seems like that might have been the case, since only one young man reported it to Moses.

I don't understand why Joshua wanted to stop them from prophesying.

I'm curious. Could you please tell me what brought you to this page by mentioning it in a comment? I won't publish the comment, if you ask me not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment