9/20/2006

New kids in town

2 Kings 17:24 - The king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim and settled them in the towns of Samaria to replace the Israelites. They took over Samaria and lived in its towns.

I wonder how Shalmaneser, king of Assyria, decided who would go live in Samaria. I wonder if it was considered a privilege or a punishment to move there. I wonder if the people had a choice. Did they all go at the same time?

I wonder how Shalmaneser decided which nations to choose the people from. Why did he choose more than one nation's people? I wonder if any pure Assyrians moved in permanently.

How many Assyrian soldiers, officials, etc. had to move there temporarily to get the other peoples settled in where the king wanted them? Did the king provide moving vans and other aid? Did the king (and his officials) care exactly which city (street? house?) the people settled in? Were as many people reported as had been deported?

The more you think about the details here, the more questions come up. But I'll stop for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment