9/23/2006

I know where you live

2 Kings 19:27-28 -
But I know where you stay
and when you come and go
and how you rage against me.

Because you rage against me
and your insolence has reached my ears,
I will put my hook in your nose
and my bit in your mouth,
and I will make you return
by the way you came.

I wonder if Isaiah was grinning with a twinkle in his eye when he said that. That's how I imagine him as he gives the LORD's answer about Sennacherib to the messenger who would deliver it to Hezekiah. I wonder if he wrote it down then and there, or dictated it, or if the messenger was expected to remember it.

Most messages from God are frightening to those who make themselves his enemies and at the same time comforting to those he calls his friends. This one is no different. "I know where you stay." If he knows where I am, then I know I am safe, since I'm one of his friends. Were I not, even though I might scoff on the outside, I'd be terrified in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment