9/23/2006

185,000 fallen

2 Kings 19:32-37 - Therefore this is what the LORD says concerning the king of Assyria:
"He will not enter this city
or shoot an arrow here.
He will not come before it with shield
or build a siege ramp against it.

By the way that he came he will return;
he will not enter this city,
declares the LORD.

I will defend this city and save it,
for my sake and for the sake of David my servant."

That night the angel of the LORD went out and put to death 185,000 men in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning -- there were all the dead bodies! So Sennacherib king of Assyria broke camp and withdrew. He returned to Nineveh and stayed there.

One day, while he was worshiping in the temple of his god Nisroch, his sons Adrammelech and Sharezer cut him down with the sword, and they escaped to the land of Ararat. And Esarhaddon his son succeeded him as king.

I wonder if God used some "natural" cause to bring about the death of these soldiers. Perhaps some quick-spreading disease? Was it something they ate? But all in one night! Wow! Presumably these were all able-bodied soldiers. I wonder if any of them realized what was happening. I wonder who had to dispose of the bodies. And how long did it take?

I wonder why Sennacherib thought he might need 185,000 (or more) just to take Jerusalem.

Everything happened as the LORD has prophesied through Isaiah, of course. I wonder why Sennacherib's sons killed him. I wonder how they were able to do so in a temple. I wonder why neither of them became the next king.

No comments:

Post a Comment