9/27/2006

Lost and found

2 Kings 22:8 - Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the secretary, "I have found the Book of the Law in the temple of the LORD." He gave it to Shaphan, who read it.

I wonder when the last time was that the Book of the Law (BotL) had been used. I wonder if Shaphan the secretary read the entire BotL before taking it to King Josiah. Or did he come across something particularly disturbing (like God's curses on the disobedient) that suddenly made him realize that this was an important document that the king needed to see immediately.

I wonder how much of it Hilkiah had read before turning it over to Shaphan. I wonder why Hilkiah himself didn't take it to Josiah. Did Hilkiah realize what it was? (Maybe Hilkiah hadn't been Josiah's regent.)

I wonder where the BotL had been stored that it fell into disuse. Did one of the ungodly kings maybe even hide it? Notice that God saw to it that the BotL was not destroyed -- even though many kings and priests and Levites had neglected it for many years.

I wonder how many people even knew it existed. How many fathers told their children the stories and instructions the BotL contained even if they didn't have a copy of their own. How many fathers today tell their children the stories and instructions the Bible contains even if they do have a copy of their own?

No comments:

Post a Comment