7/22/2006

Young Samuel

1 Samuel 2:11 - Then Elkanah went home to Ramah, but the boy [Samuel] ministered before the LORD under Eli the priest.

I wonder if Samuel was too young to understand what was going on. I wonder how old children typically were in those days when they were weaned. I can't imagine this scene without tears -- even though none are mentioned here. Samuel had recently been weaned, and now he was left in the care of Eli in Shiloh.

I wonder if other children had been brought to serve in the house of the LORD or if this was unique. I wonder if Eli was surprised that he suddenly had an adopted or foster child to take care of. I wonder what his wife thought of the idea. Eli's own sons probably didn't care one way or the other.

I wonder how soon it was, after his arrival in Shiloh, that Samuel actually got to do any formal ministering. I'm sure Eli found small "chores" for him to do related to worship and sacrifices that visitors performed. I wonder if worshippers wondered who Samuel was and what he was doing there. I wonder how many times Eli had to tell the story of Samuel's mother Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment