7/21/2006

Obed

Ruth 4:16-17 - Then Naomi took the child, laid him on her lap and cared for him. The women living there said, "Naomi has a son." And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

I don't really wonder that Naomi took care of little Obed even though they weren't really related. She cared so much for Obed's mother, Ruth, that she wanted to do anything she could to help her. Ruth had been Naomi's daughter-in-law, but since Ruth's husband Mahlon died, that relationship didn't really exist anymore. Obed was the son of Boaz and Ruth. I'm sure Naomi couldn't help thinking of Obed as her grandson though.

What I do wonder about is who named Obed. It says "they" -- meaning some of the women in Bethlehem -- named him. I wonder if this was common practice. I wonder if Boaz and Ruth had any say in the matter. If they normally would have had a say, I wonder if they willingly gave it up in this case.

I wonder if Boaz and Ruth had any more children. Obed is mentioned since he was an ancestor of King David.

No comments:

Post a Comment