7/15/2006

Jephthah's vow

Judges 11:30-31 - And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

Hindsight is 20-20, but foresight isn't totally blind. So I wonder what Jephthah expected to come "out of the door of [his] house" if not a member of his family or perhaps a servant, had he owned any. Did he keep animals in the house? Was there anything that could have come through the doorway on its own that could have served as a legitimate sacrifice?

I wonder how many people knew of the vow Jephthah had made. Apparently his daughter hadn't heard it or she would have stayed inside.

I wonder if Jephthah's carrying out of the vow was pleasing to God. Jephthah had put himself between a rock and a hard place. God said that vows must be kept, but keeping this one would result in killing a family member who (as far as we know) hadn't broken any laws that warranted the death penalty. Again, hindsight is 20-20...Jephthah should have gone to a priest and inquired of the LORD what to do in this situation. God probably would have had an alternate solution that didn't involve the rock or the hard place.

No comments:

Post a Comment