5/30/2006

Moses, Pharaoh, and the Plagues

Exodus 8:9-10 - Moses said to Pharaoh, "I leave to you the honor of setting the time for me to pray for you and your officials and your people that you and your houses may be rid of the frogs, except for those that remain in the Nile."

"Tomorrow," Pharaoh said.

Tomorrow?! Did he say, "Tomorrow"? What in Amon-Ra's (I think) name is he doing? Why didn't he say, "Now"? Right this instant! Did he consult any of us before making this rather important decision? Nooo! That's our job. That's why we're called advisers.

I wonder if any of the Pharaoh's officials were thinking (or saying) anything along those lines. Given a choice, wouldn't you want the plague stopped ASAP?

I wonder how many days passed from the time Moses and Aaron met with the new king (not Moses step-father -- he was dead) until the night of the Passover. Did the plagues come one right after the other? Many of them only lasted a day or so. The darkness lasted 3 days. Little indication is given as to how much time elapsed between them though. If each plague lasted 2 days -- one day on, the next day off -- they would have covered about 3 weeks.

I wonder what people in other countries heard about what was going on in Egypt. Even if news travelled slowly, over a period of 3 to 4 weeks most everyone for hundreds, if not thousands, of miles around could have at least heard vague rumors about it.

I don't know my world history that well anymore, but I think Egypt was considered a powerhouse at that time -- before the plagues, that is. I wonder if anyone else was thinking, "If that can happen to Egypt, are we next?"

No comments:

Post a Comment