11/17/2008

Balak Calls for Balaam

Numbers 22:1-5 - Then the Israelites traveled to the plains of Moab and camped along the Jordan across from Jericho.

Now Balak son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites, and Moab was terrified because there were so many people. Indeed, Moab was filled with dread because of the Israelites.

The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, "This horde is going to lick up everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field."

So Balak son of Zippor, who was king of Moab at that time, sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the River, in his native land.

I wonder how Balak knew about Balaam. How had Balaam become so famous? Who had he blessed and cursed before this? He wasn't one of God's chosen people, the Israelites, yet God used him to bless others. I wonder who Balaam's ancestors were.

I'm curious. Could you please tell me what brought you to this page by mentioning it in a comment? I won't publish the comment, if you ask me not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment