2/06/2008

Paul, Priscilla, and Aquila

Acts 18:18-19 - Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchrea because of a vow he had taken. They arrived at Ephesus, where Paul left Priscilla and Aquila. He himself went into the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews.

I wonder what Paul's vow was. What kind of solemn promise would you make that ends, "...I will cut off my hair."? I could speculate, but it's probably best not to.

I wonder if Priscilla and Aquila had a family. It seems that they didn't, since no children are mentioned and since they can apparently pick up shop and leave home quite easily. I wonder how long they stayed in Ephesus. Did they settle there permanently? Did they go back home to Corinth? Was Corinth even their original home?

They were tent makers. Was it easy to set up shop in a new town and start earning a living right away? Or did they have to find employment elsewhere for a time? Or was this just a vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment