6/10/2006

Riddles

Numbers 12:5-8 - Then the LORD came down in a pillar of cloud; he stood at the entrance to the Tent and summoned Aaron and Miriam. When both of them stepped forward, he said, "Listen to my words:

  "When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
    I reveal myself to him in visions,
    I speak to him in dreams.
  But this is not true of my servant Moses;
    he is faithful in all my house.
  With him I speak face to face,
    clearly and not in riddles;
    he sees the form of the LORD.
  Why then were you not afraid
    to speak against my servant Moses?"

Aaron and Miriam for some reason suddenly became jealous of Moses and let him know about it. These words are God's swift response to what they had said. I wonder if Aaron and Miriam knew they were being called on the carpet, so to speak, when God called the three of them (Moses included) to the Tent. If they had any doubts at first, God quickly dispelled them and put them back in their place.

One point I find extremely interesting in God's rebuke is that he admits to sometimes speaking to us in riddles. Not necessarily undecipherable riddles, but words that are sometimes difficult to understand at first. However, he does graciously let us in on the answers to all the riddles we need solved -- those we need to understand for our salvation. There are still many that remain unanswered which is a good thing for me or I'd have little to wonder about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment