6/22/2006

40-year-old clothes

Deuteronomy 8:4 - Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these 40 years.

I wonder if the Israelites had noticed this before Moses pointed it out to them. Most of these people had grown up from childhood to adulthood over the past 40 years of wandering, and so they would have needed new clothes as they grew out of them. But the amount of great-looking hand-me-downs was probably enormous. I wonder if they thought, "Hm, these threads wear really well. Mom must have found some really good wool."

I wonder how many people took note that either their own or their relatives', friends', and neighbors' clothes never seemed to change much. How long did it take before someone said, "Hey, Shekariah, how long you had that cloak now...2...5...10 years?" (I know, at least 2 years.)

I wonder how many people today have clothes older than 2...5...10 years. You can argue that much of it isn't made that well, but some of it is. How well were the Israelites' clothes made? Probably some of each there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment