1/26/2009

A Man with a Sword

Joshua 5:13 - Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"

I wonder if anyone else could see this "man" or if he only appeared to Joshua. He seems to have appeared rather suddenly and was right in front of Joshua, so maybe Joshua was the only one to see him. No one else needed to see him because his message was specifically for Joshua as leader.

I wonder how Joshua could tell that the "man" wasn't an Israelite. We know he couldn't figure out which side he was on, based on the question he asked. Neither did he immediately understand that it was God himself in human form. Was it the way the "man" was dressed? His (facial) features? His skin color?

I'm curious. Could you please tell me what brought you to this page by mentioning it in a comment? I won't publish the comment, if you ask me not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment