7/15/2008

Asenath

Genesis 41:45 + 50-52 - Pharaoh gave Joseph the name Zaphenath-Paneah and gave him Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On, to be his wife. And Joseph went throughout the land of Egypt.

Before the years of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, "It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household." The second son he named Ephraim and said, "It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering."

I wonder if Joseph had any misgivings about marrying the daughter of a priest of a pagan god. He may not have had much choice. If he had misgivings, we aren't told about them. And he did have two children, Manasseh and Ephraim, with her within the first 7 years of their marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment