6/16/2007

Between heaven and earth

Ezekiel 8:1-3 - In the sixth year, in the sixth month on the fifth day, while I was sitting in my house and the elders of Judah were sitting before me, the hand of the Sovereign LORD came upon me there. I looked, and I saw a figure like that of a man. From what appeared to be his waist down he was like fire, and from there up his appearance was as bright as glowing metal. He stretched out what looked like a hand and took me by the hair of my head. The Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and in visions of God he took me to Jerusalem, to the entrance to the north gate of the inner court, where the idol that provokes to jealousy stood.

I wonder what the elders thought when they saw Ezekiel levitate. Or did he maybe (seem to) disappear from their vantage point? It's hard to say with descriptions like this partly because they're so hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced the same thing.

What does it really mean to be taken somewhere else in "visions of God"? Was his body moved there too? Or are visions by definition only spiritual?

At the beginning of chapter 11, this story (vision) seems to continue. But now Ezekiel is taken to the temple apparently body and all -- yet he is still only seeing a vision based on the last verse of the chapter: "Then the vision I had seen went up from me...."

Where was Ezekiel at that point? By the temple? In his house? No, it doesn't matter. It's just something I wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment