12/09/2006

A quick shave

Job 1:20-21 - At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

Note that it says he shaved his head -- not pulled out his hair in anger or frustration as others do elsewhere in the Bible.

I wonder if he shaved it himself or had his barber do it. Was there a razor handy, or did he have to go get one? Similar question if a barber was hired.

I get the impression that this is done in rapid succession though. Tear robe. Shave head. Fall down. Is this perhaps not the best translation of the phrase?

If this happened to me, I hope I could repeat Job's words of praise. Right now I'd say I could. But what if it really happened tomorrow? Could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment