11/08/2006

Go home, Josiah

2 Chronicles 35-20-25 - After all this, when Josiah had set the temple in order, Neco king of Egypt went up to fight at Carchemish on the Euphrates, and Josiah marched out to meet him in battle. But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, "What quarrel is there between you and me, O king of Judah? It is not you I am attacking at this time, but the house with which I am at war. God has told me to hurry; so stop opposing God, who is with me, or he will destroy you."

Josiah, however, would not turn away from him, but disguised himself to engage him in battle. He would not listen to what Neco had said at God's command but went to fight him on the plain of Megiddo.

Archers shot King Josiah, and he told his officers, "Take me away; I am badly wounded." So they took him out of his chariot, put him in the other chariot he had and brought him to Jerusalem, where he died. He was buried in the tombs of his fathers, and all Judah and Jerusalem mourned for him.

Jeremiah composed laments for Josiah, and to this day all the men and women singers commemorate Josiah in the laments. These became a tradition in Israel and are written in the Laments.

I wonder, just as Neco did, why Josiah thought he needed to pick a fight with the king of Egypt. Was he afraid Neco would come after him later when he had finished his current campaign? Had some of his advisers prompted him to fight? Was he acting on incorrect intelligence gathered from his spies?

I wonder how long after the death of Josiah this account was written. In other words, how long did it take before the singing of the laments about Josiah was considered a tradition? I wonder how long the tradition lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment