10/20/2006

Apes and baboons

2 Chronicles 9:21 - The king had a fleet of trading ships manned by Hiram's men. Once every three years it returned, carrying gold, silver and ivory, and apes and baboons.

I can understand why Solomon wanted more gold, silver, and ivory, but I wonder if he really wanted more apes and baboons every 3 years. I wonder if they were considered precious, rare animals. What did the Israelites do with them? Were they put on display as in a zoo? I wonder if those who exported them to Israel considered them valuable. Or were they glad to get rid of them? Or did Hiram's men capture the animals themselves?

I wonder if Hiram's men had to give something from Israel in exchange for these precious items. What would they have given? Or did they just take these things from whoever originally owned them? Or did they gather them themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment