6/22/2008

Esau's Men

Genesis 32:3-6 - Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom. He instructed them: "This is what you are to say to my master Esau: 'Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, menservants and maidservants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.' "

When the messengers returned to Jacob, they said, "We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him."

Who were the 400 men who were with Esau? Were they his friends? His army? (It doesn't say they were armed.) His neighbors? Some of each?

Why were they all coming to meet Jacob? To frighten him? For protection along a dangerous route? To help Jacob on the rest of his journey? If they were an army, was the trip being used as some sort of training?

Did they achieve the purpose for which they set out with Esau?

No comments:

Post a Comment