8/12/2006

Six steps

2 Samuel 6:12-13 - Now King David was told, "The LORD has blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he has, because of the ark of God." So David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with rejoicing. When those who were carrying the ark of the LORD had taken six steps, he sacrified a bull and a fattened calf.

I wonder in what ways Obed-Edom was blessed by the LORD. I wonder if he had been doing poorly business-wise before and now suddenly business was booming. I wonder if his health had been poor and now he was fit as a fiddle. I wonder if the women in his household had fertility problems and now all of them were pregnant. Did he win the local lottery?

I wonder if Obed-Edom was sad to see the ark leave. He probably didn't object to it outright, but I wonder if he thought about it. I wonder if God continued to bless his household after the ark was gone.

I wonder if David had told the ark-bearers what he was going to do after their 6th step. I wonder if they waited to take the 7th step until after the sacrifices had been made.

I wonder why 6 steps. The only other significant "6" I can think of is the 6 days of creation. But I can only stretch a loose connection at best between the two events.

No comments:

Post a Comment