8/08/2006

David moves to Hebron

2 Samuel 2:1-3 - In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. "Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?" he asked.

The LORD said, "Go up."

David asked, "Where shall I go?"

"To Hebron," the LORD answered.

So David went up with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. David also took the men who were with him, each with his family, and they settled in Hebron and its towns.

I wonder if David and his men had still been living in Ziklag which had been given to him by Achish, the Philistine king of Gath. I wonder if Achish gave David permission to go. Achish had considered David a servant. I wonder if David had become too strong for Achish to make any demands of him.

If they were all leaving Ziklag and moving to Hebron, I wonder what became of Ziklag. Did the Philistines repopulate it? Did some other tribe or nation move in?

I wonder what it was like to have the LORD give specific answers to specific questions -- perhaps even aloud in one's hearing or in the hearing of many. He still answers our inquiries today, of course, but not usually in quite the same explicit and physical way. I wonder if we too often don't ask enough questions, or don't ask specific enough questions, or don't even ask the right questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment