8/17/2006

Absalom, Joab, and David

2 Samuel 14:21-24, 28-33 - The king said to Joab, "Very well, I will do it. Go bring back the young man Absalom."

Joab fell with his face to the ground to pay him honor, and he blessed the king. Joab said, "Today your servant knows that he has found favor in your eyes, my lord the king, because the king has granted his servant's request."

Then Joab went to Geshur and brought Absalom back to Jerusalem. But the king said, "He must go to his own house; he must not see my face." So Absalom went to his own house and did not see the face of the king.

Absalom lived 2 years in Jerusalem without seeing the king's face. Then Absalom sent for Joab in order to send him to the king, but Joab refused to come to him. So he sent a second time, but he refused to come. Then he said to his servants, "Look, Joab's field is next to mine, and he has barley there. Go and set it on fire." So Absalom's servants set the field on fire.

Then Joab did go to Absalom's house and said to him, "Why have your servants set my field on fire?"

Absalom said to Joab, "Look, I sent word to you and said, 'Come here so I can send you to the king to ask, "Why have I come from Geshur? It would be better for me if I were still there." ' Now then, I want to see the king's face, and if I am guilty of anything, let him put me to death."

So Joab went to the king and told him this. Then the king summoned Absalom, and he came in and bowed down with his face to the ground before the king. And the king kissed Absalom.

I must be missing something here. This whole scene seems pointless. Maybe there's some political aspect of the times that doesn't get told in this account that really has impact on how these men treat each other.
  • David misses Absalom after the murder of Amnon.
  • Absalom is apparently banished from Jerusalem.
  • Joab seeks to bring Absalom to Jerusalem.
  • David agrees but won't meet his son (the murderer).
  • Absalom wants to see David with the further aide of Joab.
  • Joab won't help until Absalom burns his barley field.
  • Absalom meets David.
That's it? All is well? Welcome home? Good to see you? It's as if nothing bad ever happened between them in the past few years. So why all the shenanigans listed above?

I wonder why Absalom is never punished for Amnon's murder.

I wonder why Joab is first so eager to help Absalom -- going so far as to hire an out-of-town actress to fool David -- but later won't even give him the time of day.

I wonder why Absalom considered it such a big deal to be able to see David again. He should have been afraid. "If I am guilty...." What do you mean "if"?

Then there's David...waffle, waffle, waffle. He wants to see him. He's banished. He brings him home. But not to see David. Years later he's persuaded to see Absalom. They meet, greet, hug and kiss. Make up your mind already!

No comments:

Post a Comment